If you are in Marketing, inevitably you will learn and use SPSS over course of your career. SPSS is a powerful and complex computer program for statistical analysis used when analyzing data collected from Marketing Research. It is an invaluable tool that allows marketers to analyze and report findings based on their research. When it comes to Research, SPSS is a must know; however, it can be tricky.
Here is a Step by Step guide for beginning learning the basics in SPSS. It covers everything from uploading data from excel to Sumatting and running Cross Tabulations on the program. Below are a few examples, the entire guide can be found here (Guide to SPSS).
Uploading Data from Excel
- Save Excel Sheet on Desktop.
- Open SPSS.
- Open an existing data source “more files.”
- Change file type to excel and click OK.
Conducting Reliability Testing
- From Drop Down Menu: Analyze –> Scale –> Reliability.
- Make sure “Scale if Item Deleted” is checked.
- You want your Cronbach Alpha Level to be a .8 or higher.
- Delete items if necessary to raise level, but do not delete items that are vital to the study.
- From Drop Down Menu: Analyze –> Regression –> Linear.
- Add Independent and Dependent variables.
- Click Statistics and make sure “model fit” and “estimates” are checked.
- Any value less than .10 is significant.
Again, here is a more detailed Guide to SPSS with steps and interpretations.